Connecting trusted community support for health
Mid Devon / Shobrooke Signup to this watch
SHOBROOKE lies in quiet, unspoilt country, with many fertile "red-land" farms. It formerly had several prosperous gentry and yeoman. The church, (St. Swithin) was drasticly restored and enlarged in 1879-80, when the S. aisle was added. There is, however, a good Norman S. doorway (c. 1160 in Thorverton stone. Shobrooke Park was formerly called (little) Fulford. It was bought by Sir William Periam (1535-1605), chief baron of the Exchequer, who built a house here. This was pulled down c. 1820 and a new house built (by Hakewill) called Shobrooke Park. The house became a school, was gutted by fire in 1947, and is now desolate. West Raddon was one of several good houses in this parish. It was a domesday manor, and in Henry VIII's time was bought by the Westcotes. Thomas Westcote the Antiquary, was born here in 1567, and wrote his View of Devonshire here. A good deal of Westcote's house remains, the W. wing being largely 15th century work, the rest rebuilt in the 18th century. Raddon Top (772ft.) is a landmark for 20 miles around. Westcote tells us that there was an earthwork on the summit, practically ploughed down even in his day.
The SHOBROOKE PARISH GOOD NEIGHBOURS scheme was launched following a successful coffee morning held in The Red Lion on Saturday 1st February 2014. The coffee morning was attended by many local residents who are keen to help and support their community.
For more information please visit http://www.redlionshobrooke.co.uk/shobrooke-community.php
For more information regarding Shobrooke Parish Good Neighbours please contact the scheme Co-ordinator, Natalie on 01363 772340 or email firstname.lastname@example.org